Saturday, November 19, 2011

I have moved to a house with a bay tree potted in the back garden but in a poor state and needs reviving- help

It is about 5ft tall in the pot and the top bush is about 1.5ft across but is really quite bare although there still are green leaves. I would like to make it helathy and full again but have no idea where to start - Any helpers???

I have moved to a house with a bay tree potted in the back garden but in a poor state and needs reviving- help
I have had a potted bay tree for about 15 years now. I have to repot it every two or three years, in a slightly larger pot. I fertilize it in the summer, and water it regularly, then in the winter I just water it sparingly until about February, when I start watering it regularly again.





I read a long time ago that the secret to growing a bay tree was top light, that is, light that comes from above, rather than from the side. It has been true for me, my bay tree is in a location that gives it good strong light and sun, from above.





I also prune mine back to shape it., and force new growth. It is naturally going to be bushier at the top, it is a tree.





It is probably pot bound, so you should repot your plant into a bigger pot. If the soil ball is really compacted, try to loosen the roots with your fingers, and if you cant, take a knife and cut down the sides in about 3 places, not more than an inch deep. This will encourage the plant to grow new roots: and use some root stimulator to water it with when you repot it. (available at a garden center, it has a B vitamin to help prevent transplant shock, and a rooting hormone to help it grow new roots) This should help it start growing again. Do not fertilize it any other way until you see good strong new growth. It may take a while, bay trees are sometimes slow to respond, so don't give up. As long as you see green leaves, it is still alive.
Reply:repot it, feed it and prune it back, that may help.


No comments:

Post a Comment