Thursday, May 20, 2010

I want to start my own garden in Southeast Texas and I am wondering what are the best vegetable and herb plant

I want to start my own garden in Southeast Texas and I am wondering what are the best vegetable and herb plants? Its hard to find a website with a defined region in the United States.

I want to start my own garden in Southeast Texas and I am wondering what are the best vegetable and herb plant
In the first link, a similar question (about growing veggies in Dallas) was asked in April.





Scroll down the page to a post by suze9 - she's from S.E. Texas - She's got more than one post that might offer some helpful insight.





The second link is to the USDA Plant Hardiness Zone map for zones 4b through 9b which includes Dallas, Austin, Houston and Brownsville, each of them somewhat different.





Other link goes to Gurney Seed and Nursery...menu on left of screen is for their veggie plants - above that is the link for their vegetable seeds. I didn't go through each link for the zone info so you'll have to do that yourself :)





Also, Betty's Bloomers Nursery is in Silsbee, TX. In the article I read, it's mentioned that the nursery is in S.E. Texas, so may be another resource for you! Phone: 409-385-4892 - email; kay@bettysbloomersn ursery.com.





Hope you find this helpful! :)
Reply:The best website I've found is http://www.almanac.com/garden/plantingta... All you have to do is put your zip code in and it will give you a listing of plants that are normally grown in your area and the best time to plant. Also, when you are looking for seeds make sure they are suited for your zone. If you do not know what zone you fall in you can also look that up on the website listed above.


No comments:

Post a Comment