Saturday, May 22, 2010

I'm growing lotus plants in my garden. Will they remain in hibernation when I bring them indoors for winter?

I presently have several lotus plants growing in 20-gal. tubs of water in my backyard. Last year, I carted all eight of them into my unheated garage for the winter months here in Michigan. Unfortunately, we had a cold snap that lasted about 3 weeks and all of the lotus plants froze to death--except two. It's not feasible to heat the interior of our attached garage, nor run 100-W heaters in all eight tubs of water. So this winter, I plan to bring the lotus plants that will not fit in the bottom of my small pond into our heated sunroom that's just off of the kitchen. My question is, will the lotuses remain in a hibernation state during this long time period indoors at a 68-70 degree temperature or do they even need to go into hibernation? Lotus plants in the Philippines or Thailand, for example, don't go into a hibernation phase...or do they?

I'm growing lotus plants in my garden. Will they remain in hibernation when I bring them indoors for winter?
i found all those answers and more at .wintercareforlotus.com


No comments:

Post a Comment